#1 Woodear with Gluten


Oh gee whiz my first official food post. How exciting! I spent 1.5 hours at Ranch 99 finding ingredients; it's probably the most time I've spent there. I'm sure I'll be knowing it soon like the back of my hand.  So today I made woodear with gluten, except Ranch 99 was out of woodear, so I used oyster mushrooms instead. 

Verdict: The dish is pretty simple, sweet with a bit of kick depending on how much pepper you add. A bit of prep work is involved for taking off the stringy parts of the snow peas; otherwise it's cakewalk.
Easiness: 3/5
Tastiness: 4/5

Ingredients:
1 package oyster mushrooms
1/3 package of baby carrots
1 package of sugar snap peas
2 cans of gluten
1 star anise
1/2 tspn pepper flakes
1 tspn soy sauce
1 tspn oyster sauce
1 tspn of cornstarch
sugar to taste
oil for frying
The original recipe and ingredients can be found here. The first step is to blanch the sugar snap peas and carrots. Remember to snap off the ends of the sugar snap peas and pull out the string, otherwise you'll be eating green stringy stuff (like I am now).

Woodears are tasty; they have a bit of crunch you don't find in other fungi but the oyster mushrooms are good too.

For the gluten, I used two cans of Ve Wong Fried Gluten.

 Fry up the hot pepper flakes and star anise with oil. I use olive oil because it's healthy and I plan to live a long time.   
 Add the vegetables and the gluten. Continue to stir fry. I add about a teaspoon each of soy sauce and veggie oyster sauce and just a little bit of sugar. The gluten I bought already has sugar in it. Add a mixture of cornstarch and water to make it saucy and glossy.
Tada! Here is the tasty finished product. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#7 Bean Curd Wrap

#6 Spicy Vegetarian Meat with Mushroom

#2 Taro and Three Mushrooms